A Portland Woman Comes Forward With Her Story of Being Attacked by Two Prominent Men

A Portland Woman Comes Forward With Her Story of Being Attacked by Two Prominent MenErica Naito-Campbell tells a harrowing story of sexual assault. (Emily Joan Greene)

As the CEO of one of the city’s leading culturally specific nonprofits, McGee has built an expansive network. Supporters hailed his bid for office as a promising step for the causes he has championed.

"I always told myself that I would come forward if Charles ever ran for office," says Naito-Campbell. "Because there are some things that simply cannot be allowed."

In those interviews and a three-page sworn affidavit she provided WW, Naito-Campbell described a May 10, 2012, incident in which she says McGee and the other man sexually assaulted her at a private residence.

"At no time was I interested in being touched by either man, nor did I consent to be touched," Naito-Campbell writes in the Jan. 20, 2018, affidavit. "The next day, my body was bruised all over with fingerprint marks, and I bled when I went to the bathroom."

On Jan. 19, WW began an interview with McGee about Naito-Campbell’s allegations. He said he knew Naito-Campbell but had never sexually assaulted her or any woman. However, McGee ended the interview before responding to specific questions about the alleged assault and turned down further interview requests.

"My attorney doesn’t think we should meet," he wrote in a Feb. 3 text message. His attorney, Edie Rogoway, also declined to answer further questions.

The other man, Aubré Dickson, a Portland banking executive, did not reply to two dozen interview requests over a three-week period. After calling, emailing and texting him repeatedly, WW visited his office and his home and sent registered letters to both addresses. Dickson never responded. A spokesman for his employer said the bank notified Dickson of WW’s inquiries but otherwise declined to comment.

Aubre Dickson (left) and Charles McGee

Naito-Campbell is a granddaughter of Bill Naito, a real estate developer credited with revitalizing Portland’s downtown in the 1970s and ’80s. She is a graduate of Reed College and Lewis and Clark School of Law and a single mother of one son. Her decision to step forward comes at a time when women all over the country are revealing long-suppressed accounts of sexual harassment and abuse.

Naito-Campbell says she didn’t report the alleged assault to police, but she did tell her family and numerous friends at the time. WW interviewed six of those friends and also her therapist, whom she told years afterward. All of those interviewed recalled her telling them the same story she outlines in her affidavit.

Friends say they found the story credible, and those who knew her before the alleged incident say Naito-Campbell is a different person than she was prior—distraught and often paralyzed by fear and anxiety.

"I believed her absolutely," says Elizabeth Peters, a doctoral student at Portland State University who attended high school and college with Naito-Campbell. "The trauma changed who she is. You don’t make that up."

"This incident has damaged her to a place where I’m not sure she can make a full recovery," says the therapist, who also interviewed some of her family and friends about Naito-Campbell’s condition before the incident. "In terms of her self-worth, her ability to have a relationship and her belief in the concept of trust, there’s been a huge, negative shift."

His organization has contracts with Multnomah County, Portland Public Schools and the state of Oregon, among others. It provides a variety of services, including helping families prepare children to succeed in school and maintain a stable home.

Dickson, 43, is a leading Oregon figure in affordable-housing finance. He serves on the board of the Portland Housing Development Center and, until Monday, the state Housing Stability Council, which this year will provide $250 million to projects across Oregon.

Erica Naito-Campbell

Naito-Campbell worked for her family’s real estate business when she met Dickson and McGee in 2010. All three were enrolled in Leadership Portland, a nine-month program offered by the Portland Business Alliance. She says she and Dickson were Platonic friends before the alleged incident. She was not friends with McGee and says she had never previously met with him outside the PBA program.

They crossed the Willamette River to a strip club—she thinks it was in North Portland but cannot recall the club’s name. She says McGee bought her a drink there that she neither wanted nor drank. They soon left the club. McGee drove the three of them to a private residence, which Naito-Campbell described asbeing on the city’s outer eastside.

"Then they were both all over me," says Naito-Campbell, who is 5-foot-2 and 110 pounds. Dickson, who briefly played football for PSU, is 6-foot-1 and 190 pounds, according to his driver’s license; McGee, 5-foot-10 and 205 pounds.

Naito-Campbell says in ensuing days, she called a rape hotline (her phone records show a 42-minute call to the Portland Women’s Crisis Line on May 13, 2012) and told friends. She remembers making those calls while walking in Tryon Creek State Park near her home. She soon began seeing a therapist and walked endlessly.

Charles McGee


Online Health & Fitness

Student Stuns Doctors With Crazy Method to Melt Fat

Are you looking to burn belly fat, but diet and exercise is not enough? A student from Cornell University recently discovered the fastest way to lose weight by combining these two ingredients.

Learn More

Report ad

Source Article